A more detailed summary can be found here.
First of all, there are specific agents used to clean oxygen piping. For example, “Blue Gold” .
Protocol for cleaning
- Inspect all elements of stainless steel piping
- Flush pipes with deionized water (using a hand pump)
- Clean through with aqueous, BlueGold solution
- Flush until water flows clear for 5 minutes
- Twice repeat steps 1 to 4
- Dry the tubes by passing nitrogen through them
- Flow nitrogen through until it is completely dry (hold a clean cloth at the end of the tube and check that no moisture is pushed through).
- Once it’s dry, let the nitrogen flow for 15 minutes.
- Repeat twice all steps, right from step 1
- Reconnect, taking care not to accidentally introduce contaminants
- Leak-check with helium
- Pre-heat system for 6-8 hours and then sweep again with nitrogen
Quite a drastic amount of work. All the best!